Sunday, July 3, 2011

Toronto takes the Voyageurs Cup - Vancouver had them and let them go...


First of all, I was one of those hundreds of people who had to line up and wait to hand in tickets to exchange for new tickets because my printed tickets were destroyed on that stormy night in May. Perhaps I was foolish to think that if I arrived with my original tickets that all would be ok. I missed 40 minutes of the first half because I had to stand in line and prove to TFC/BMO gate staff that I was legit. Yes, I misunderstood emails. Yes, I could have printed again and avoided this. I happen to be in total brain overflow as I am off to the Grand Canyon today for a 10 day adventure on the Colorado river, so my confusion is legit. But yes, TFC, in one swoop you managed to make a day one season ticket subscriber feel more like a potential fraudster than a valued customer.

So I can write about the second half with authority...
Plata and Frei are the two who drive this team. They were the reason Toronto took the cup. Sure Yourasskowsky scored the winning goal, but he was so overdue that had he missed his chance he might as well have just run off the field into the gloom that ex-TFCers go into.
I also think that credit has to go the back four of Gargan, Eckersley, Harden and Borman. Although was it the insertion of Tchani into the back four that led to the moment when Hassli was all alone and fired wide? That was a heart stopper...

So now we have the home and home series against Nicaragua's Real Esteli. Does anyone know if Torsten Frings and Danny Koevermans are eligible to play now??

2 comments:

steve said...

few points:

1) they have so many games 3 days apart, with all the nutrilite stuff.
they have played more games than any other team in the mls.
a team is not as effective if playing in 3 days as it is if it plays in 7 days

2) they have almost no players making the big bucks, if you look at the successful teams they have quite a few players making over 200k salary. tfc has bunch of guys making 80k. soccer is kind of like basketball, you want a few stars making big bucks carrying the team

Anonymous said...

tfc is a joke. way to go MLSE. pathetic Toronto team.