Monday, September 19, 2016

Somebody's messing with my route to happy TFC 3 NYRB 3

I want to cheer, I want to feel that this team is building towards both top spot in the East and then playoff success. Instead of cheering, I am just turning down my grumbles to a low level.

I want to be happy with drawing at home against New York Red Bulls, but TFC still have gnawing areas of concern. Yesterday was a game where sloppy defending returned to combine with a muddled midfield. Jozy Altidore provided the skill (two goals) and the rest of the team gutted it out. Ok, the Bradley goal was a quality effort too.
You walked away from the stadium feeling turbulent. Reminded that neither Giovinco nor Ricketts were involved eased the worry. Nobody can accuse them of peaking too early. Osorio is still not taking shots. Delgado had a crummy game. Lovitz and Endoh came into the game as subs and they gave some wing quality to the TFC attack. The new player, Cooper, had a few moments.

Let me get back to the sloppy defending.


NYRB took advantage of a lucky break with their first goal, an own goal put in by Beitashour. I felt that TFC had the better of the early play and that
Then Erik Zavaletta stumbles and gives NYRB a second gift. I might as well throw it in, although the NYRB third goal was the result of some strong play from the guys in crayon yellow and blue, I still felt that Zavaletta lost himself on that goal too. A big step forward, pressuring the ball, would have put Bradley Wright-Phillips offside.


I have a proposal. Play Michael Bradley and Drew Moor as your central defender pairing. I am convinced that Benoit Cheyrou needs playing time. He may have lost a critical step in his defending, but his movement forward and his passing are excellent, maybe better than Bradley's. It is also sentimental of me, I am fairly sure that Cheyrou's contract expires as season end. He must be facing his final weeks in Toronto. Let him contribute. 
TFC get the week off and then face three home games in 8 days. Three victories, please.

September Sunset



No comments: