Tuesday, February 19, 2008

snow needs to go, TFC in the sunny south


Winter in Toronto usually follows a little tempo, snow -thaw- snow- thaw. This winter has been heavy on the snow, slight on the thaw. One begins to forget what non-winter truly feels like. The other day watching Man U destroy Arsenal in the FA Cup on television, I was taken with the televised picture of halftime at Old Trafford. They had three sprinklers going, watering the grass. You fully grasp that our winter drags on and on when you find yourself entranced with visions of lawn watering. There is a homemade video ( I think over at Big Soccer) of the recent game between TFC and KC in Florida. It was shot from ground level and is not going to win prizes. Besides TFC winning and looking good (but wearing blue !!!?), the news was that I found myself scanning the horizon as next to the soccer field there was a golf course. I was straining to see regular folks walking in the sunshine wearing short sleeves. Cabin fever has taken hold and the snow, the snow has got to go.
Just before I began to crack like the ice on my driveway, the internet chatter began to churn and tumble out names linked to TFC.
Not a moment too soon.
Kiki Musampa, Julian Barrigan, Darren Huckerby, Joao Pinto, Johnnier Montano are the names being named. And what names ! I envy the soul who gets to say simple things such as "Joao meet Kiki ".....
I did buy my share of TFC clothing in year 1, but did not purchase a game shirt with a player name on the back. I sometimes debate whether I should honour my year one faves and get a Brennan or a Dichio or Edu on my shirt. Year two promises such a richness in names already and we are weeks away from the season opener. My first shirt name is up for grabs.
These players are said to be at training camp in Florida or on their way to Toronto to check us out. Who will catch on and who is just passing through ? Who dares to visit Toronto voluntarily in February ? Is this part of a recruitment scheme gone mad ? The training camp in Florida, the tournaments in Texas and South Carolina are all wonderful ideas. Show prospective players tape of 2007, all they will see in TO right now is snow and an igloo on the pitch

When I dream TFC for season two, I float back to Father's Day 2007, the 4-0 defeat of Dallas and the sunshine and promise that seemed bursting from within the team. If we manage to get back to that level and find that the new additions make us harder, better, faster, stronger ? Ah, the magic of the pre-season when everyone is tied for first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen.