Sunday, July 5, 2015

LA Galaxy 4 TFC 0 or the things we do for love...

That old pop song (by 10cc) popped into my head as I trudged off to bed early Sunday morning. I had watched the entire drubbing of TFC by LA Galaxy. In this multi-media world I had also followed along on Twitter and visited the RPB forum to capture the TFC zeitgeist throughout the night. Wow, you can watch Warren Creavalle make defending mistakes and still wonder why some are so quick to hate him. He's a solid MLS utility player. Perhaps his starts at right back for TFC this year have earned him a spot on the bench, but he has

The things we do for love was both the tune and the sentiment after watching such a one sided game from the pacific time zone. I had missed out on the DC United game (attended Solid Sound Festival - see previous post - passion outside of TFC world begins with Wilco). So I felt that watching the LA game was rather important for getting back onto the blogging track. You can tell I am fully into the boomer category when I write of staying up late on a Saturday night as an effort and a sacrifice. On the soccer side then, I had low expectations. Missing Bradley and Altidore just seemed too big a hurdle to overcome against Los Angeles.
I wish the Vanney brave enough to give starts to Delgado and Chapman was also involved in the playing time decisions for Jordan Hamilton. Why Hamilton was not given 20 minutes is a puzzle.
Seba Giovinco was looking lonelier and lonelier as the game wore on.
The road ahead is away to New York (for an ankle kick fest), home to Philly, away to Columbus to close out July. Stay tuned.



Sub Robbie Findley for Luke Moore for actual starting 11

The trading/transfer window is about to open (July 8th?) and I figure it is a good time to review the squad.
TFC keepers are all keepers in my books (unless a crazy multi-player trade involves Konopka or Bendik).
TFC defenders are a curious mixture of players all very new to one another, so expecting a cohesive approach might have been asking to much in these early months of season 2015. However improvements are required for the tough months ahead. Caldwell and Hagglund and Simonin have all been forgotten of late. I think it is a touch unfair to be critical of the central pairing of Perquis and Zavaletta. One is learning the league and one is learning the position and they have done well considering. I think that trading for a veteran MLS central defender makes more sense than an international signing, but if we have to put up with both, then do it.
Midfield - I have been of the opinion that TFC's greatest need this season has been wingers. The Vanney approach of four central midfields in a diamond and asking the right and left backs to fill the wings stretches the back four way too much. May I point out the back pass from Justin Morrow to Robbie Keane that created the third LA goal last night is the result of forever stretching those backs (and bad decision making).
Forwards - The trio of Altidore, Giovinco and Moore could be the best in the league (yes, Moore has his critics). I am not alone in being unimpressed with Robbie Findley. Bright Dike is a mystery and Jordan Hamilton needs playing time. A reduction in the striker ranks makes more sense than an addition...

No comments: